Dacorum in West Hertfordshire to the north of London embraces the new town of Hemel Hempstead, the historic market towns of Berkhamsted and Tring as well as picturesque villages and rural locations.
With its mix of well-known attractions an hidden treasures Dacorum is a great place to discover whether you want to explore and escape or relax and unwind you will find all you need for a perfect stay.
Kings Langley is a large village of roughly 4,000 residents located just to the North West of London, Great Britain.
The village is situated in the Gade valley, near the Chiltern hills, and in the main communications corridor between London and the North West of the country.
The Grand Union Canal and the West Coast mainline railway were built along the valley, the M1 motorway runs parallel a few miles to the East, and just to the South of the village, the Gade Valley Viaduct carries the M25 London Orbital motorway across the valley.
Most of the village, to the West of the Canal, is administered in the Parish of Kings Langley, the Borough of Dacorum, and the County of Hertfordshire.
The small part of the village to the East of the Canal is in the Parish of Abbots Langley and the district of Three Rivers, with the River Gade/Canal boundary separating state and church dating back to the Domesday Book.
The village high street contains historic buildings and local shops, and the main part of the village has four churches (including All Saints - see below), three schools, four pubs, two large sporting clubs (the Football & Cricket Clubs), and several other active societies and clubs, e.g. the History & Museum Society, the Scouts, and the Guides.
Aldbury is a village retaining several archetypal historic features. In the centre is a green and pond; close by stand stocks and whipping posts in excellent preservation, a primary school and the Church of Saint Johns the Baptist. In the days of Edward the Confessor the single manor (recorded as Aldeberie in the 1086 Domesday Book) was held by Alwin, the king’s thegn.
The Valiant Trooper has served as an alehouse for several centuries, the first traceable evidence dates back to 1752.
The ascent of the wooded slope towards the Bridgewater Monument is one of the most steep ascents crowned by a ridge with one of the five highest elevations in Hertfordshire Monuments in the church prove and witness the importance of certain manorial families including the family of Sir Ralph Verney, 1546, who has the northern Verney chapel in the church and the similarly landed family of Thomas Hyde, 1570, and George his son 1580.
Aldbury was the home of Sir Guy de Gravade, known as the Wizard of Aldbury, who was reputed to be able to turn base metals into gold.
The village name derives from the Olde English pre-7th Century personal name "Wicga", meaning "a beetle", plus the Olde English suffix, "-tun", meaning a "settlement or enclosure, hence "Wigca's settlement". The village was named in the Domesday Book and noted as beloning to the cathedral church of St Peter in York.
The name of the village has been recorded as Wichestun in the 11th century and Wygynton in the 13th century. The first recorded owners of the manor were the Askebys, who may have been connected with the neighbouring village of Haxby, and of Roger de Haxbey, who owned nearby land during the reign of
Edward I. Hugh de Moresby, Lord of Moresby in Cumberland, was in possession of the manor of Wigginton in 1337.
Through inheritance and marriage the manor passed to Anne Pickering and her second husband, Sir Henry Knyvett. She sold the manor with others in 1541 to Henry VIII, but his heir, Edward VI, granted them back to Anne and Henry in 1548.
Wilstone has been settled for many hundreds of years. This Hertfordshire village lies about 3 miles to the northwest of Tring.The village and is surrounded by open farm country. The Aylesbury arm of the Grand Union Canal lies to the north and the 4 Tring Reservoirs to the south. The Village offers many attractions to both the resident and visitors alike some of which are illustrated in the following pages.
Wilstone village has changed little over the last two or three hundred years. Prior to the building of the Grand Union Canal and reservoirs in the 1790’s to the south was an area marshy land known as Moors’. Streams ran water mills to the north of the village known today as in local parlance as the 'milloppers'- mill hoppers for storage of corn.
The construction of canal provide new houses for the workers.
Up to four pubs or ale houses, a chapel, a church, two or three shops, a forge and all the trades needed to support a village.
In 1751 a dastardly act took place according to local legend at Dinah's pond in Watery Lane. Even today many old villagers would not stroll down there at midnight!
An accused Witch was subject to a trial by ducking, the last to take place in the county, having been outlawed for 16 years. The unfortunate woman Ruth Osborne drowned and the inquest was held at the Half Moon. The main perpetrator was tried at Hertford and condemned to hang in chains on Wilstone Green.
Chipperfield is a small active village situated on a crossroads approximately 5 miles south-west of Hemel Hempstead and the same distance north-west of Watford. The village occupies a site some 1.75 miles east to west and 1.75 miles north to south on a chalk plateau at the edge of the Chilterns, some 130 to 160 metres above sea level. The chalk is overlain with pebbly clay and sand to the south and east and clay with flints to the north and west. There are two dry valleys where the chalk is exposed i.e. at Dunny Lane and Whippendell Bottom.
The village roads are bordered by an attractive mix of gardens, fields, hedges and woodland rather than solid walls. There is an extensive network of footpaths, pavements and permissive bridleways, most of which are well maintained. The white painted signposts and wooden public benches are in harmony with the character of the village.
Chipperfield Common, gifted in 1936 to the local authority to be maintained in consultation with the people of Chipperfield, extends to over 100 acres and is well used by local residents and visitors from the surrounding area. Most of the common woodland is secondary woodland estimated as varying in age between 80 and 176 years old, which has regenerated as the grazing of livestock fell out of practice. There are eight large mature sweet chestnut trees which are regarded as veteran trees, of great historical and landscape importance estimated to date back to between 1600 and 1620. The Common is the best known and valued feature in the village.
Long Marston is a small village to the north of Tring in Hertfordshire, in the Tring Rural parish council area. It is located roughly 5 miles east of Aylesbury and 11 miles north-west of Hemel Hempstead.
The name of the village is likely to derive from 'Mershton', literally Marsh Farm, a reference to its propensity for flooding . By 1751 this had developed into the name Long Marcon
Long Marston Airfield were used as an aerodrome in 1917 during the First World War, but activities ceased after the armistice.
In 1940, farmland worked mainly by Arthur Rees and some by William Southernwoods was requisitioned, and 1941 saw intense activity as building contractors George Wimpey flattened the land and constructed runways, service roads and buildings
The Gaddesden Place positioned east of the small village, was built from 1768 to 1773 for the Halsey family. It is surrounded by a huge park. In 1905 a fire destroyed the interior of the main house.
It is located in the Chiltern hills, north of Hemel Hempstead. The parish borders to Flamsted,
Hemel Hempstead, Nettleden and Little Gaddesden and also to Studham in Bedfordshire.
The Church St. John the Baptist was probably the site of a pre-Christian sanctuary. The church shows features of every period since the 12th century. Part of the chancel with Roman bricks dates back to the early 12th century. The old church was extended by the south aisle in the 13th century and the north aisle in the 14th century, the west tower was built in the 15th century and the north chapel in the 18th.
The medieval convent of St Margarets stood northwest of the village. For a while the site served as a WW2 RCAF transit camp and later a boarding school for children with Special needs, and it is now a Theravadin Buddhist monastery, Amaravati Buddhist Monastery, complete with temple.
The River Gade has its name from Gaddesden. Its clear water is used for watercress beds along the river and at Water End south of Great Gaddesden is an old corn mill provided by the stream. The bridge over the river at Water End has a medieval appearance but was built in the 19th century.
Little Gaddesden is a village and civil parish in the English county of Hertfordshire three miles north of Berkhamsted. As well as Little Gaddesden village, the parish contains the settlements of Ashridge, Hudnall, and part of Ringshall.